Followers

Grab My Button!

Grab My Button!

Blog Design By:

Blog Design By:
Using a Digital Kit by Michelle Underwood

Monday, December 14, 2009

Fluff Mom Monday


This week, I'm excited to introduce everyone to Jodie from Nappies Covered. She's an Aussie, who's used cloth diapers (or "nappies") for almost 20 years! Here's her story:


Tell us about yourself! What is your name? How many little ones do you have? How long have you used cloth diapers?

My name is Jodie. I am a mum of 4 children, some little some bigger! They range in age from 3 years to 19 years old. I have used cloth nappies since the birth of my first child, so coming up 20 years! I run an online Nappy making store, which has been up and running for almost five years. The store is www.nappiescovered.com.au, and yes we ship worldwide :)


What made you decide to use cloth diapers?

When my first child was born I thought that is what everyone did - use cloth terry squares and thought of no other! In fact disposable weren't readily available, were very expensive and not that good. I loved seeing the nappies blowing in the breeze on the clothes line, gave that sense of achievement on so many levels to see them there flapping away :)


I have always been a bit of a 'greenie' caring about our world, and caring about what is used against my children's skin, so cloth was the only choice really.


What was the first cloth diaper you bought?

Terry towelling squares were my first nappies, these I used on my first two children.


When pregnant with baby number 3, I thought that there had to be something better out there, so did a search on the internet and found that in the USA there were all of these new type of nappies being made using a product called PUL. I was SO excited.


I bought myself some fabric from a US store as there was no where in Australia to buy what I needed. I then sewed my own nappies, with my own designed pattern. I ended up with a OSFM pocket nappy design.


After trying my own style, I then tried out a Honey Boy pattern, the Wee Weka, Mama Bird and Ottobre patterns.



Tell us about your cloth diaper stash (numbers, sizes, types, brands, etc.):

I came a bit of a cloth addict I will admit. As I opened my online store, and had access to numerous fabrics it was hard to not pick out my favourite fabrics and sew them into nappies.


I became a licensee for Chloe Toes Diapers a few years ago, so these nappies are the ones that are most prominent in my stash.


Chloe Toes Diapers - made as all in twos - around 40 sizes from small to medium

My own OSFM pocket nappy - around 30 of these.

Honey Boy's - By Cherub's Kiss - all in ones and all in twos

Bit for Bots - fitted nappies and all in ones

Baby Beehinds - Fitted nappies


What is your favorite cloth diaper? Why?

My favourite is the Chloe Toes Diaper. I love it as an all in two. The actual pattern doesn't come as an all in two, so I modified it a bit - moving the inner absorbent layer to the outside of the inner layer - attaching it with snaps and adding a wicking layer to the top. I make the booster with 6 layers of bamboo, in a fold out shaped style that is quick drying.


The Chloe Toes Diaper is a fantastic fitting nappy. It is really trim and I love how it scoops down under the belly. It fits well under clothes too. I also love how you can use the FOE and how it 'makes' the nappy, finishing off the edge.


What made you decide to start your own cloth diaper related business?

Back in early 2004, when pregnant with baby number 3, and finding nothing in Australia for this product, I saw a potential market for Cloth nappy making supplies here in Australia. By the end of 2004 my store started, firstly as a small MSN group....then a smallish web store, to what it is today.


Tell us about your wash routine

I dry pail the nappies. They are then popped in the washing machine (front loader) with half the amount of detergent (I use eco-store detergent) and are cold washed. Nappies are then line dried. I never use a dryer at all as this lessens the life span of the nappies, plus can cause pilling, and is bad for our environment.


Have your friends and family been supportive of your decision?

Yes they have. I have been lucky to have the support of my whole family.


Any challenges with using cloth diapers? What did you do about it?

I haven't had any challenges at all. Having used terry squares in the past, modern cloth nappies are a BREEZE compared to them!


Day care have been wonderful and loved the nappies we sent to be used.


Your best piece of advice for someone new to cloth diapering

Not all nappies will fit each child the same. Babies are like adults, all different shapes and sizes, so be aware that just because a nappy style works on one child doesn't mean it will the next.


Your favorite scripture, quote, or anything else that you'd like to add?

"My heart melts, and flows into my baby as breastmilk" - Jeannine Parvati Baker


Photobucket

0 comments: